In order to keep your water heater running properly and efficiently very simple maintenance procedures need to be performed.
Dirt, sediment, and various minerals settle at the bottom of your water heater tank. These ingredients can add up rather quickly robbing your water heater of its efficiency and costing you in the long run. If left unchecked they can not only make your water heater work harder but also allow your tongue to rest and be slowly eating away until you need to replace it which is very costly yet preventable.
Following these simple maintenance tips will keep your hot water tank running smoothly:
- First, turn off the heating source to the hot water heater. Turn off the gas to the water heater or shut off the circuit breaker if it is electric.
- Next, turn off the water to the water heater and attach a water hose to the water drain
- Now, turn on the water drain to release the water from the water heater tank. Don’t worry if the water is a little dirty this is from all the dirt and sediment that has built up and the reason why you’re draining it to get everything out.
- Turn off the water drain and remove the hose. Take a bucket and place it under the water drain.
- Now, turn on the water to the water tank and then turn on the water drain to allow the rest of the sediment to be flushed out.
- Next, refill the tank and make sure the water drain at the base of the tank is turned off. Be sure to close the pressure release valve. Turn on the water to allow the tank to be filled.
- Once the tank is filled you can turn the gas or the circuit breaker back on.
Enjoy the nice hot water that will be flowing and heating you more efficiently. Now you only have a full year to wait and perform this maintenance again.